Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Love and Humility, Part 1

by Jerolyn

The FAM1 was talking a lot about humility this last weekend. In light of it being 40 Days of Love, I've chosen to share a few posts on Romans 12:9-16. Go figure, I just "happened" to be there in my personal reading and God stopped me dead in my tracks. So I'm just going to go phrase by phrase. Please weigh in on your thoughts.
Love must be sincere. Romans 12:9a
The New American Standard says, "without hypocrisy." The Greek translates it as a love that must be "unfeigned, undisguised." When I see the word "hypocrisy," I instantly think about the Pharisees and Jesus' diatribe against their hypocrisy in Matthew 23. I do not want to be accused of that kind of love. Neither do I want to practice it.

I want my love to be "true" or "genuine" -- sincere. I was looking up the original meaning of the word, "sincere." You may have heard the story before, but the original meaning is "without wax." Often pottery makers, bricklayers, marble artisans, etc. would fill cracks in their creations with wax to cover the imperfections. The problem was that when the product was under heat, the wax would melt and the imperfections would be visible. Sometimes even the integrity of the piece would break down.

Is our love for others "without wax?" Are we living sincerely with everyone -- no hypocrisy? It's a question that takes some pondering. Who do I not sincerely love? And what is the evidence of my insincerity? Insincerity will eventually surface -- especially when the heat is turned up in the relationship.

I know that not everyone is easy to love. But I must surrender my biases and allow the love of Christ to fill me with so much love for others that I don't need wax. My love is truly genuine and sincere and complete.

Lord, fill me now. Let there be no room for insincerity in my heart. Teach me to love as You love and use me as Your vessel to love others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment