Wednesday, March 24, 2010

We play no small part

I've been reading this great book! Max Lucado's Cure for the Common Life. Living in your sweet spot. It is, to say the least, a very good book! I'm only partly through it, but so far I've gained so much from it. I thought I would just share a snipit of what God has been teaching me through this book, as well as some digging into the scripture he shares in it. Something I've been struggling with is finding a job, something I feel called to do in which God would be able to use me. Well, He will use me most when I am doing my best with what He has gifted me in. Still, I'm searching for it, but I know that He has gifted me with abilities and passions that He desires for me to use, as does He for you as well. Lucado says "You play no small part, because there is no small part to be played"...if I find something that seems like a not so great job, but I am using the gifts God has given me and I'm allowing Him to use me and work in me, then it doesn't matter what kind of job it is. No one else can do exactly what God purposes me for. We are each made so uniquely and creatively that no one else can fill our role. He continues to say "If you aren't you, we don't get you. The world misses out." And, I think each one of us is so worth knowing! The Message version of Galations 6:4-5 says "Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life."

And the other thing that I'm learning with that, is that more is not always better! In my last job, the opportunity for more money became appealing, but all the details that went with that promotion meant I wasn't using my gifts anymore; my talents and passions about the job were being replaced with other responsibilities which did not make me a lovely, or loving, person. When God presented a way out, I took it - less money and all! Then down the road, God provided a new opportunity for Joe, which was right up his ally; such an awesome fit for Joe's talents and giftings - less money and all! God is good...ALL the time!! If we keep our eyes fixed on what's important (not money, not greed, not promotions that might lessen how effective we are for God), He will bless us, provide for us and protect us. I know that God will continue getting us through this tough season and I need to keep praying for His will to be accomplished in us. And with praying that, I need to be open to how He wants to do that...whatever job He sees as best for His giftings in me!

Joanna

1 comment:

  1. Joanna,

    Great lesson for all of us. It is so tough to keep our eyes focused on God's plan even if it doesn't make sense in a human way -- financially or matching our gifts. He is in control of it all and cares for our needs.

    Jerolyn

    ReplyDelete